Faculty/Staff/Administrators Responsibilities and Rights
- College’s obligation begins by campus-wide dissemination of appropriate services and equal access information.
- Provision of accommodations as recommended by Learning Accommodations Center (LA Center); implemented by faculty and/or Center.
- Acceptance of the existence of disability when accommodations have been authorized by the LA Center.
- Implement compliance responsibilities under Federal statutes and Regulations, Public Law 101-336-Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) and Public Law 93-112, Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504.
- College’s obligation starts when student self identifies and requests services.
- Inform students about services and the LA Center; e.g., in the syllabus.
- If a student does not want to be identified to the LA Center, you are only obligated to give information about services: you are not obligated independently to determine or implement accommodations.
- Accommodations need to be determined and recommended by the LA Ctr. only.
Student Responsibilities and Rights
Students have certain responsibilities:
- Inclusion of Learning Accommodations’ services in campus wide informational activities.
- Requesting, setting up, implementing, maintaining, modifying and reviewing his/her accommodations before, during, and at the end of each semester.
- Finding out the responsibilities and policies involved in managing one’s accommodations throughout the semester.
- Providing advance notice in a timely manner (6 to 8 weeks) when requesting an accommodation.
- Maintaining ongoing communication with faculty and LA Center staff when managing ongoing classroom and testing accommodations.
- Signing the Semester Contract when requesting services and advisor and faculty receive notification of approved learning accommodations/services.
- Maintaining academic standards.
- Providing feedback in a timely manner to the LA Center on the effectiveness of accommodations and their implementation.
- Understanding accommodations do not guarantee successful learning.
- Following College’s Academic and Code of Conduct policies.
- Communication with advisor/advising center about program major requirements.