Professional Development Funds
In order to support the professional development of Northern Essex Community College faculty and staff, funds are available for conference attendance, research, and books.
All applications are reviewed and approved by the Professional Development Funding Committee. Preference will be given to those who have not received funding in the previous fiscal year.
Please read the guidelines carefully.
Any full-time or part-time employee may apply for funds. In order to provide a quick turn-around time for funding review, we require the following:
- Preference will be given to applicants who are engaging in their activity during the semester in which they apply: If requests far exceed what is available in that particular round we will recommend that your request automatically be considered in the semester in which your activity is to take place.
- Preference will be given to applicants whose request aligns with strategic initiatives.
- The fiscal year cap on funding allowed through professional development funds is $1300.00 per person every other year. The fiscal year runs from July 1st through June 30th.
- All applications must be submitted electronically and must be received by 2:00 PM on the deadline date. Please request approval from your supervisor with the Supervisor Approval form.
- All information must be complete in order to be considered or it will be returned to you for further completion.
- All conferences, events, workshops, symposia that are paid for during the current fiscal year must be reimbursed in the same fiscal year.
- Deans are eligible to apply for Professional Development Funding.
- Faculty who are on sabbatical are not eligible for Professional Development Funding.
Professional Development Funding Guidelines
There will be three rounds of professional development funding: September, January, and April.
The project description should be clear and complete. Incomplete applications will be returned. A full description is required.
The following items are non-allowable expenses, and therefore, are NOT covered through professional development funding:
- tuition/coursework towards a degree or certificate program – if a conference is solely for the purpose of CEU’s, it will NOT be funded.
- printing and publishing costs for classroom purposes
- attendance at annual conference/meetings/similar activities when it is an ongoing expectation of the position (this should be covered by departments)
- postage and telephone costs
- purchases that do not pertain directly to your job duties at the College
- departmental supplies (software, books, etc.) for an entire department
- employees discipline-required certifications
- payment for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for any re-certification requirements
The Professional Development Funding Committee will review requests within ten (10) working days of the deadline date and make recommendations.
Applicants will receive an email notification letter from the Center for Professional Development regarding the request within one week of the committee’s funding meeting. Receipts must be received within four (4) weeks of your activity or we will not be able to guarantee funding.
Short-form Funding Guidelines
Only one short form for books and materials is allowed per person per fiscal year and cannot exceed $100.00.
Short-form is usually designated for books for developing new courses or when an employee is pursuing an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s degree or Ph.D.